January 12, 2011

A box that sounds.

Have you ever heard a shrieking sound yet delicately flows and perfect in the tunes? A box that made of wood, combined with nylon strings, tuning pegs, tailpiece, and fingerboard. Sounded with a horse-tail-made bow with the winding, ferule, frog, and tension crew.
It can only produce the originally basic notes G, D, A, and E.






Why most people choose this instrument to master? 
As for me myself, I began my interest in an orchestra since 10 years old. The first symphony that I watched was performed by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. I was playing around with my barbie dolls, when my sister turned the TV to this Gala Concert of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D Major.
(Try to stream it if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onErtTydUdM)
I heard them when the tuning started, until the soloist jumped to the 3rd movement. I was like "Mom, I wanna learn to play violin." And it turned out for me to learn piano instead, due to the worrisome of some parents that their kids would have a bad back and neck structure if they hold violin for prolonged period on their left shoulder. 
Well, I was granted my wish to learn violin after a year I had been with piano. It was like 4 years after I stopped and moved to Australia for further study. 

It may be a bit hard to learn as compared to piano, but feeling and passion play the main roles. It is not like a guitar, in which each note has already been on its place; you determine the exact position of each note with your fingers as the point. 

The most legendary composers, which I absolutely salute to:
* Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
A Russian composer from Romantic era. Composes concertos for ballet, symphonies, and operas. Believed that he's a homosexual due to the marriage disaster that he suffered. 
Most favourite pieces:  Overture 1812, The Four Seasons Concerto, and Violin Concerto in D Major.







* Ludwig Van Beethoven
A German composer and a pianist between classical and romantic era. A student of Mozart. Had a deteriorated hearing, but still composed and conducted even when he was completely deaf. 
Most favourite pieces: Symphony No.7, Symphony No.9, Violin Concerto in G Major (Spring).







* Sergei Rachmaninoff
A Russian composer, conductor and pianist in late romantic era. His piano writing contains idiom, expression, and ingenuity. Most of the pieces are fast and in rich tonal. 
Most favourite piece: Piano Concerto No. 2.








Classical music means a lot, and it expresses million feelings in just one piece. Sensitivity and characteristic are built in those who play instrument or sing. 

One wish that I really totally terribly wish for is that, I wish I were able to watch a live orchestra in a huge concert hall with a real Symphony Orchestra at the front row, or balcony will do.
I'm dying for a seat at Perth Concert Hall and always have a chance to stop by and take a peak from outside whenever my bus stops. 
Someday. Someday I will be able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment